Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Chiyombwe household, Malama community

"Come Ka-Hay, I’m going to introduce you to the lady you will be staying with”. We’ve finished the Malama community meeting and Jonathon takes my hand and leads me over to a lady dressed in a bright green chintenge.


“Mulibwuia Buti” I greet Madame Chiyombwe with a small curtsey and she returns a small smile, a gentle handshake and a softspoken “Kabutu’. I tried to read the somewhat restrained and emotionless face, and as I came up empty handed, a part of me wondered what the next few days were really going to be like and if much of it would be spent in silence.

It wasn’t. Over the next four days, I shadow Madame as we go into the fields, as we walk around the community to visit village headman. During our time together, I discover that she is a community leader, a risk taker, and above all a mother who represents the simple hope that is common across communities and cultures.

I arrive at the house, and look around me to and see the tin roof on the main house, four mud brick thatch roofed houses, maize in the three sheds, the ox ploughs, a latrine, plenty of chickens, pigs, cattle, a well, and a the sizeable woodpile. This is the time of year when many households are trying to hold hunger at bay for another few months until harvest season arrives but I can see that this is a secure household and I was curious to know understand what made the Chiyombwes a successful rural farming family.

Madame is 50, healthy and still built like a horse. We get up at the crack of dawn and head into the fields to weed her groundnut and sweet potatoe fields. As much as I want to slow down with as my spoiled hands form blisters and my weak back begins to pain from being bent over, I have to stifle these thoughts as Madame shows no signs of weakness.

Madame tells me about how she first had to learn to use the ox drawn plough – a rare task for women because of the strength required. Mister Chiyombwe was teaching, and there was no one else who could help with ploughing and so I had no choice’. She says this with a quiet pride as she recognises that in ploughing her own field, she had bucked the gender trend.

Madame, Muzinga and Whista, weeding sweet potato field

She is a community leader, an HIV/aids peer educator and takes care of HIV patients when she has time. She used to sit on the committee for Food aid distribution, was one of the first women to join CLUSA – a cooperative initiative, and also one of the first women to join Zambia national Farmer’s union. Because of these leadership positions she is highly trusted within the community.


"Why doesn’t mr. Chiyombwe put the cattle in the health plan? I asked as we walked to visit the village headman one day."

Madame had attended the livestock meeting to learn about what the Herd Health Plan was all about. Her husband, Mr. Chiyombwe has about 70 cattle but none of them were yet on the health plan, and for what she understood, it makes sense that they invest a little money to keep the animals healthy. Afterall, the family had lost 50% of their cattle during the disease outbreak 10 years ago.


‘ ah, I don’t know.’ And then with a small smile, she says ‘but you and me, tonight, we’ll talk to him, and I’m sure he’ll agree.’


You see, in the Chiyombwe household, Madame is the risk taker. She was one of the first farmers in the area to grow paprika and soon became the lead famer. One of the challenges in getting farmers to adopt new behaviour is that the vulnerability of poor farmers make them highly risk adverse and it is difficult to get them to take on a new behaviour because any slight mistake would cost a household their security for the season. She is the one who was willing to plant fruit orchard when Mr. Chiyombwe thought it was a waste of time. After two seasons, Mr. Chiyombwe saw the value in the fruit and decided what a great idea having an orchard is! And decided to create one for himself.

On our way back from weeding

And of course, Madame is a mother. she is a mother of 7 and a grandmother of 28. While she was not able to attend secondary school, her daughter Muzinga has and in fact, Muzinga is now a teacher in the nearby community, Mazabuka.

I ask Madame what she hopes for her children and grandchildren. ‘Security. Not needing to worry about food, about money. To continue to pursue learning and get an education. ’

Muzinga (daughter), Madame, Little Chipu ( grandaughter)

It’s simple isn’t it? At the end of the day, this is what development is all about. That you may not have gone to high school, but you work hard so that your daughter might. And while she might not be able to finish high school, she will work hard to ensure that her daughter can. Step by step, this is how progress is made and you work hard to provide a better future for your children, a future with opportunities and freedoms that you had only dreamed of.


And when I think of this simple fact, I can’t help but think about the one woman who embodies this same spirit; the same simple dream, a better future for her children. This woman is an incredibly hard worker and has inspired me to be a better person; she taught me about compassion, to care about others, to not be afraid to laugh at yourself and to see the beauty in the world.

I see this women in all of the inspirational people like Madame that I meet and this woman is of course, none other than my mother.

My mother 'recently' turned 60, and I am proud of her for many reasons. Not just because of raisingus four kids ( three pain of the butt brothers and me, the angel daughter :) hehe) but because she finally decided to take time to take care of herself and do things that she wants to do. And it's been amazing. She taught herself how to use the computer and is now on the internet using messenger and webcam; she learned to play the violin, began ballroom dancing, she goes crazy with her tai chi ( hence not doing anything for the reputation that us chinese all know kung fu). She continues to be a child at heart and in doing so, has not lost even the tiniest bit of the care and compassion that she has for her family and her community.

Mom, thank you for all of the gifts that you gave me and my brothers; the love of art and music, the love of laughter, the care and compassion for others, the love of sport and learning. But maybe most of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to lead a life that we value, for the freedoms and choice that enable us to follow our passions. And I hope that you will know that part of the reason why I'm doing what I'm doing today is because of these gifts that you given me and for that, I am forever grateful.

Happy Mother’s Day mom. Miss you lots and can’t wait to introduce you to Madame when you and Dad come to visit.




Like mother...

like daughter.

3 comments:

KK said...

Remember when we used to plant flowers in the flower beds for Mother's Day every year? Always with the marigolds and the petunias. Good times.

ka-hay said...

YA!

you know, i remember that that was your idea, you were always the thoughtful one.

i was actually just mentioning thta to my roomate the other day.

sigh.

:)

-kh

happydream said...

"Mom, Happy mother's day! Please stay on the bed! we will take the breakast for you". Then you and Ka Kei bring a big tray, a cup of Chinese tea, Two peaces of toast with PJ to go in to my bedroom. It was 20 years ago.It was my first time to take the breakfast of Englash style of my 41 years old life." Mom. it is good?". You both asked me. How could I show to you my feel? Even though My mother's teach was very stable in my mind :" Never eat on the bed. Bed is only for sleep".But Children's love was very touching my heart. I finished this breakfast with my childrne's deep love.It was my treasury of mylife memory.
Then that marigolds's nice smell, that petunias's red colour still at the house drive way and at the front yard.that countless cut of flowers were from the flower's stone, the greeting cards were from the post office and the phone call" HAPPY MOPTHER"S DAY"....... after your guys leaved home.All that. And the most importance love is that your 4 children never let Dad and I down.See that countless award of cups,ceritificate of merit,cash award,medals..... all were from the school studies, piano Festivals, swimming, triathlons......That show to us your guys were working so hard to trying your best to love yourself and love your parents.Now, all you and your brothers are walking your own life road with fair and frank,lofty ideals,intelligent and brave,Love and indepandent.what shell I ask for?I am a very lucky mother in this world.I am prouding to what you are doing.Thanks God.
Ka Hay, my dear daughter.Thank you very much for your love and understand me.I am a small woman, I can't do the big help to this world. I only can do some little things to colouring my sunset life.Keep my kindness heart for my friends, students, and family.When they cry, I would like to use my hands to dry their tears, when they need some one to walk beside them, Then I would like put my arms to carry their arms to walk together,I can't feed 100 people, But I would like to feed one person who wants I feed.....Then I would happy.
some day, I will become to the ash and the smoke.But My love still keep in my children and grandchild's hearts.Life never stop.One generation pass to another generation. The world will become best. All mothers will will happieness for all time. No only on the MOTHER's DAY.

Love MAMAMIA